MSACOFP Annual Resident Scholarships
Each year the Society awards several $1,000 scholarships to physicians in a family medicine residency in Missouri.
The scholarship was established to help identify and develop future leaders for MSACOFP and osteopathic family medicine.
Applications for 2019 must be submitted by October 15, 2018.
Donations to the DiRenna Scholarship Fund
The funds for the Resident Scholarships are in the DiRenna Fund within the William L. Wetzel Osteopathic Education and Research Foundation under the care of the Missouri Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons. Donations to the fund to help continue this important program are needed. All contributions to the DiRenna Fund, a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, are deductible in the U.S. for computing income and estate taxes. All donors will receive a receipt of their donations in the mail or via e-mail for tax purposes. Our financial partner, Edward Jones, has the ability to write a life insurance policy where the DiRenna Fund can be the primary or contingent beneficiary. If you are interested in making a contribution or making the DiRenna Fund the beneficiary of a life insurance policy, please contact Chris Bowles, Associate Executive Administrator of MAOPS at email@example.com.
2018 Resident Scholarship Recipients
|Lisa Trask, D.O.
||Jessica Richter, D.O.
Presenting the awards is C. Mark Rose, D.O., President
Resident Scholarship Criteria
- Be a graduate of an osteopathic medical college or university;
- Be in a family medicine residency program in Missouri;
- Be a second or third year resident;
- Be a Missouri resident and intend to practice in Missouri following residency;
- Be a member in good standing in the ACOFP, MSACOFP, and MAOPS. Be sure to check membership prior to application. Membership applications may be submitted with scholarship application.
- Have demonstrated leadership skills in osteopathic medical school and/or in the residency program;
- Have a letter of reference from the residency director or a member osteopathic family physician;
- Submit a letter outlining your commitment to family practice in the State of Missouri.
- Serve on the MSACOFP Convention and Education Committee for one year following receipt of this scholarship.
- Willingness and ability to attend the Winter Family Medicine Update on Saturday and Sunday, January 26 & 27, 2019 including, but not limited to, the award presentation, Membership Meeting, and Social Hour/Trivia Contest during the event..
- The scholarship includes a cash prize of $1,000.
- Pays for expenses including mileage, lodging for one room on Friday and Saturday night, meals, and registration to attend the presentation and other events. Attendance at the entire seminar is also welcomed and encouraged. The winner may also bring a guest at no charge.
Application and Selection Process
- Complete the application in full. Applications may be submitted by the post graduate program directors of family medicine residency programs or residents themselves are also invited to submit an application.
- The application deadline is October 15..
- Include a Letter of Reference from your Residency Program Director or a member osteopathic family physician.
- Include a personal letter outlining your commitment to family medicine in the State of Missouri. Be sure to address what leadership qualities you have demonstrated during your training program and why you believe you are a good scholarship candidate.
- The MSACOFP Board of Governors will review and select the scholarship recipients. You will be notified of their selection by November 15.
Four Ways to Apply
♦ Online - Complete the form at the bottom of this page by October 15. NOTE: If you apply online, please submit your letter(s) of reference from your program director separately. In addition, your program director must sign THIS FORM giving you permission to attend the two events indicated above.
♦ Mail - Download and print the Resident Scholarship Application. Mail with all attachments to:
ATTN: Resident Scholarships
PO Box 105077
Jefferson City, MO 65110
♦ Email - Send all necessary documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.